Tietoja minusta

Oma kuva
Enjoy this moment, share quilttales with me

maanantai 16. maaliskuuta 2009

Preparations for Smuggling


March 16, 1864

Isabella Buchanan Edmondson wrote in her diary

At one o'clo
ck Mrs. Fackler, Mrs. Kirk and I began to fix my articles for smuggling, we made a balmoral of the Grey cloth for uniform, pinned the Hats to the inside of my hoops - tied the boots with a strong list, letting them fall directly in front, the cloth having monopolized the back & the Hats the side -
(quote from the Civil War Diary Quilt / Rosemary Youngs)


Block 38. Preparations for Smuggling

Isabella's life during the Civil War was very exciting. She was a Confederate spy, who carried letters through the lines and smuggled. I'll come to know her and her doings better within this month. I presume there is more thrilling notes in her diary...

I sewed this block as foundation piecing. After previous block I wanted to be more accurate with the seams;)

Fabrics are Nancy Gere's Civil War V (gray flower), Lecien's Mrs. March's Collection 4 (bluish grey newspaper print, I really like this one) and white flowers on cream (don't remember / know the manufacturer of it).

While sewing I started to regret of my fabric choice; especially the gray one annoys me. I like the print, but the colour is too light...
I should have used some brown instead...???

Isabella's (nicknamed as Belle) adventures will continue on the 27th of March...
Till then...

2 kommenttia:

Karen kirjoitti...

I love the newspaper fabric!

Simone de Klerk kirjoitti...

Looks great once again, Satu! Maybe I asked you before, but do you sew these or are they appliqued? I can't figure it out from the picture.